Sunday, April 20, 2014

Old Spring Memories in our home town of Fort William, Ontario....

Here in Central Canada we are finally supposed to get some Spring weather.  It is already April 20th and there is still tons of snow here in what used to be called Fort William and Port Arthur, Ontario.  This is just a short post to wish you all a Happy Easter and hope you have a wonderful summer.
This first photo is one of my sister and I on Easter Sunday way back in 1957 in front of our grandmother's home.

The next one here is of myself back in 1954 with my new bicycle.  My father would put one together with used parts and have it painted up at Kam Motors by "Canary" Trevisan, the painter at Kam in those days.  You could never buy a bike as cool as mine and I would get one like this about every couple of years to the envy of all my friends.  My custom bicycle was the beginning of my gear-head years that actually has never ended.


The Fort William Bicycle plate here was used 10 years after the photo on the left.  Be sure to click on all the pictures for enlargements.
The picture on the right (George Bott on the right and myself  on the left) was taken in June in 1950 at a rented cottage at Oliver Lake.
You can't buy wonderful memories like these and as the snow finally melts, we can be sure that summer WILL come.

Here's one of Bill French (driver) and myself back in about 1958 on Cuthbertson Place in Fort William.  Push mobiles or "buggies" as we called them were commonplace in many neighbourhoods back in the 1950's and ours was no exception.  If you were the tallest guy like me, you would be the pusher and the smaller you were, the driver of course.
The following picture was taken many years later in 1971, the second year that Fort William and Port Arthur became Thunder Bay.  It's hard to believe that I actually pulled my trailers with my brand new 1971 Chevelle SS 454 and clamped trailer mirrors to the front fenders.  Geez, what was I thinking.  I loved that car but as my family grew, I did sell it in favour of a 1974 Chevrolet Camper Van.....WHAT was I thinking again?

Finally a much older photo of a card game we had around the house for years that we played while travelling with our family.  My parents always saved their pennies during the winter months so that we could have a wonderful summer trip each year....how lucky were we!!
HAPPY SPRING 2014

No comments: